Thursday, March 08, 2007

Another Day Babysitting - Lost in my silly thoughts...

Well, I'm back at Rebecca's babysitting the girls. And the house is silent! The secret? They are all asleep. Yup. I am the miracle worker. Actually, Chantel was asleep by the time I got here, Kaitlyn fell asleep on the way here and Elayna just fell asleep and I just moved her to Rebecca's bed. Woo hoo!

OK - here is what I've been thinking about this morning. Please do not laugh. Ok, you can laugh if you want to. I can't see you doing it so it's ok.

I should probably explain my new "blinkie" at the top of my blog page. The one that says "Mommy's gymbo princess". Gymbo is for Gymboree and I love Gymboree. Gymboree is a kids' clothing store which is way too pricey for me to normally afford. Enter ebay. I am now ebay crazy and my family will gladly second that. I went so nuts on buying Kaitlyn Gymboree stuff for this summer that I ended up renting a table at the kidswap just to get rid of some of the things she already had to justify my spending. Let me tell you though, these are the cutest outfits I have ever seen. She will be one well dressed little baby this summer (I don't care if she's considered a toddler, she's still a baby in my eyes).

But now I'm thinking, am I doing her damage by dressing her in super cute clothes? Will she pick up and have I already started passing on the attitude that she has to be the best dressed kid in the room or else we shouldn't leave the house? I am being serious here... I want my child to be a well-adjusted, non-judgmental girl who looks past name brands and people's faces and sees what's inside.

But let me tell you again, she is going to look super cute in those clothes this summer... ;)

8 comments:

Yvonne said...

Teresa ... her clothes is not going to do it, you don't buy them new you buy "quality" clothes at a good price which often can end up slightly cheaper than new low quality clothes. It is in how you raise her, and how you are with other people that she will see! Not to mention we can't control our kids forever ....

AmberW said...

I do not think it is a bad thing dressing your children nicely. There are times where the kids obviously are going to wear play clothes - when they are out in the mud, and you obviously know that eventually she is going to stain those clothes. But I also like my children to look nice, and wear nice clothes - and I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all!

DokkestulDiscussion said...

No, your not ruining her you silly boyfriend stealer! Honestly there is a difference between letting her wear these, and her learning to EXPECT them. Its not like your gonna turn up your nose at an outfit someone buys her that isn't GYMBO....so she will not learn to do that either. She can have nice things and still learn to appreciate them and value them....your so silly! Hugs dear!

DokkestulDiscussion said...

I forgot to ask, when I made you vote today on my clothes, were you DISAPOINTED in me that none were gymbo? I'm really sorry about that, we dont have one close buy....BAD CECILE.....you probably judged me for that hu? he he he....I'm TOTALLY kidding!

Beth said...

I completely agree with all the commenters! You're buying secondhand--not new. And Cecile is right on about the difference between expecting nice things and wanting nice things and finding smart ways to obtain those things. The funny thing is, when she gets old enough to dress herself, she'll probably just want to wear jeans and t-shirts! Ha ha. Seriously--I don't think you have anything to worry about. Yet. :-)

Anonymous said...

Teresa - what happened???????
I seem to recall sending a young adolescent girl back to her room in the morning before school...somehow you just couln't put on clothes that matched. In fact I don't think clothes really mattered to you at all. Again I say WHAT HAPPENED????

Teresa said...

Hee hee. I was wondering when I would be asked that question - no surprise it came from my mother. I really do wonder the same thing sometimes. I think it was working downtown Vancouver with all the lawyer types. I actually learnt a thing or two I suppose. Isn't it true that I haven't matched stripes with patterns since I worked downtown? Hope that answers your question at least a little :)

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly with all previous posters. Especially since I'm mommy to a Gymboree princess as well! ;)

Absolutely no harm done and it's all about how we raise our kids, not how we dress them.