Thursday, April 01, 2010

Sleep Issues

Today I came across this article from Dr. Sears: 31 WAYS TO GET YOUR BABY TO GO TO SLEEP AND STAY ASLEEP EASIER and tonight I am going to try some of his tips. I am tired and worn out. I need more sleep and even though Meagan goes back to sleep quickly, the last few nights have been horrendous. She usually wakes at 12 for a feed which is okay. But then 1, then 2, 3, 4... it's brutal and I don't know what's causing it. Her drooling is out of control and I'm constantly changing her undershirts or else she develops a large red drool rash on her chest. So teething is definitely a suspect at this time.

Some of the tips I will be trying tonight: teething tablets (not exactly on the list, but I don't feel okay with giving her Tylenol every night); putting something that smells like Mommy in with her; making sure she is warm enough and tucked in tight; and using the noise machine on the sensor setting. We used this for Kaitlyn and it worked wonders. As soon as Kaitlyn would stir or make a noise, the sensor would go and the machine would turn on.

So wish us luck! We need it!!

3 comments:

Beth said...

I feel for you! Good luck. I hope some of the new tactics work.

Doulanic said...

Those sleep issues can become all consuming eh? That's a great list that Dr Sears has by the way! :-)
A book to try if you haven't already read it is Elizabeth Pantley's "The No Cry Sleep Solution". Talk to cousin Lynette - she's using some of the strategies and finding it's working.
Of course, first thing I think of when I read about sleep issues like that is : is baby having a growth spurt? If it is due to a growth spurt, it usually works itself out by around 48 hours. If not, well, teething of course is a huge culprit.
And yes, white noise --- fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Teresa: It's been many moons ago that I have had to deal with babies :-) but am wondering if you use one of those 'dutch slaapzaks' - I found that my kids slept well in one of those and I didn't have to worry about them getting cold at night.

Cecile