Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Reminders to Self...

I sometimes have to sit back and remind myself of certain things. Today was one of those days.

First, babies will be cranky and need extra cuddles after shots. It is better to enjoy those cuddles than be annoyed by the neediness. I enjoyed lots of cuddles today.

Second, Tuesdays are a bit nuts and Kaitlyn does not like to cooperate on crazy days. Whenever I have a ton of things to do, I can bet Kaitlyn won't want to cooperate with any of it. It is better to take a deep breath, come down to her level, and remind her that good things happen when you're good, bad things happen when you don't listen (we use timeouts which work great).

Which brings me to third, Kaitlyn is only 3. I cannot expect when she tries something new to just give it to her and she will figure it out on her own. She wants me to show her and walk her through it. Case in point - new set of play-doh tools. The mess in my kitchen had to wait. It eventually did get done, but after an hour of playing play-doh with my eldest first.

And fourth, it is important to keep myself sane. Tuesdays are my designated shopping days while Kaitlyn is at school. By the time Kaitlyn was in preschool today, I was feeling worn out and useless. Meagan was sleeping and instead of the usual turn into Superstore today, I continued on and walked in the mall for 2 hours. It was nice. It was calming. I had a healthy lunch in the foodcourt while my baby slept, and browsed at things I usually don't have time for when I have a busy 3-year-old in tow.

And the grocery shopping? No, it didn't get done today. It will get done. Eventually. In the meantime, at least my girls have a sane mother.

4 comments:

Doulanic said...

What an awesome post!! Smart of you to take the time to stroll through the mall and relax - those groceries will get done. It's amazing what we can get by without when necessary!
(I enjoy reading your posts by the way now that you're on my google reader!)

Little Irish King said...

You forgot to mention that your husband had to work late. he got home at 7:45. Then instead of spending time with his wonderful wife, he watched Band of Brothers with his Bro-in-law and had a couple beers ...although in my defence i did cook dinner and put Kaitlyn to bed.

Beth said...

Awesome post Teresa! Wiser words have never been spoken. Thanks for the reminder on how to make the most of a day that could have been a disaster.

Teresa said...

Thanks Nic and Beth. We all know those days!!

And Ryan, the day was already a write off. I didn't mind you spending time with BIL while I caught up on Biggest Loser :)