Monday, August 16, 2010

Meal Planning Monday! It's Back!

Due to the new spending restrictions and organizational aspect of it, I am returning to meal planning! This time the menus will be a little different as we are trying to keep our weekly grocery bills less than $100/wk. Without diapers and cosmetics on our list, I think it's doable, but the true test will be when I do my groceries today or tomorrow and get my total. Groceries will be done at Superstore and produce will be done at the produce market (so much fresher and cheaper!).

So here we go...

Monday: Oven steak & vegetables

Tuesday: Beef barley soup & bread

Wednesday: Hot dogs

Thursday: Spaghetti tuna casserole

Friday: Chicken puff casserole

Saturday: Cauliflower-ham bake

Sunday: Brinner (breakfast for dinner) - eggs, bacon, toast and pancakes

Most of the meals were planned around ingredients I already had in my house (frozen hot dog buns, leftover roast for the soup, spaghetti noodles, tuna) or cheap produce and cheaper meats than we normally pick.

I've submitted requests for about 10 books from the library on grocery shopping, budgeting and cooking on a tight budget. If anyone else has any suggestions, tips, etc., please pass them on! And thanks Cecile for your comments!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

vegetarian cooking is cheaper and can be very healthy. Just make sure that you combine beans and rice for example to make a complex protein. There are fabulous books out there to help. I went through a total no meat few years and the grocery bill was definitely cheaper...unfortunately my husband had had enough of no meat :( I could live on that diet forever.

Beth said...

I try to stick to $100/month for groceries, too. Some weeks are easier than others. Here's a Web site that I like a lot: <a href="http://www.>The Frugal Girl</a>. I have found that I throw a lot of money away in food waste, so I'm trying to work on that. I'm also trying to eat more of what we already have to make the budget stretch. My pantry is far from bare, so I feel like I need to get more creative! Not easy when you have picky kids, though. Good luck!

Alisa said...

Hi Teresa - I just found your blog. I'm sorry that Ryan didn't get the job he really wanted. I do love your attitude though. You can do it! I really enjoy the Tightwad Gazette books. One thing that really throws my budget out the window some months is gifts. Finding interesting and frugal ways to give gifts is something I have a hard time with, especially when there isn't much time.

Alisa said...

One more thing...

Spread the word that you'll take free fruit or garden surplus. Having some applesauce and green beans in the freezer is helpful too!

Michelle Burgess said...

Good luck with keeping it to under $100.00 I would LOVE to be able to do that.