Friday, August 27, 2010

Friday Update

This week was a pretty good one! Despite Meagan cutting another tooth and 2 more on the way (with multiple night wakings for a few nights in a row and a trip to the doctor only to confirm she was teething), the last half of the week definitely made up for it. Meagan is now waking up once a night around 3 AM, happy but just needing 3 teething tablets and a little snuggle (no night nursing!), back in bed where she puts herself back to sleep quietly - I'm very hopeful this is the new trend and once those top two teeth poke through, hopefully she won't need those night time teething tablets anymore either.

The budgeting/shopping is going well too. Last week I ended up running out of a few things like milk and dishwasher detergent but my grocery budget money was gone and I was determined not to cut into other areas of my budget to buy those items. So I posted a few things that we weren't using for sale and within an hour, I had sold the bassinet for the same price I had paid a year ago. So with $30, I had more than enough money to purchase the few items to make it the rest of the week.

This week I did draw up a rough meal plan, this time with Ryan's input since he wanted healthier meals, and finally managed to get my Superstore shopping done yesterday. This time I did purchase produce at Superstore as well since I only had a few items on my produce list and the girls wouldn't have lasted another shopping trip. So a week's worth of groceries for $77 - not too bad! I'm learning to scour the flyers and match up great prices with coupons for great savings. Example: Special K cereal was on sale for $2.97/each (regular price was over $5/each), limit of 2, plus I had $1 off/box coupons so I was able to get 2 boxes for $1.97/each. Same with Gerber Graduates snack foods for Meagan - on sale for $2.27/each and I had a coupon for buy 2, get $1/off. Great deals when you pair them together and they were items on my list anyway (which is key - I'm not buying stuff just because it's a "good deal" - it has to be on my list!).

Last evening was really great. We had dinner together - Ryan and I had "fiesta rice" (a recipe we made up together using hot sausages, salsa, onion, garlic and rice) and the girls had scrambled eggs. I went to a preschool orientation meeting for 45 minutes, came home to find the girls ready for bed, and Kaitlyn went to bed with no fuss around 8 PM. We let Meagan stay up and crawl around to burn off some energy and she started to crawl slower... and slower... until she found a nice spot under the table and just zonked out. This girl really is her mother's daughter - apparently I used to fall asleep anywhere and everywhere as well.



Anyway, I am feeling refreshed and ready for a good weekend! A few good nights' sleep will do that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Teresa:

You may be interested in this website for coupons. You choose the coupons you like and they mail them to you - no charge. The website is www.save.ca Also, another tip - when I do my grocery shopping I always check for coupons that are hanging in the aisles. I'll take a couple that I can use and just save them until that item is on sale.

Cecile

Teresa said...

Thanks Cecile! I just signed up for save.ca (thanks to your tip) and I never thought of keeping the aisle coupons for when they go on sale. I never even bother to check their expiry dates and only grab them if they're on my list.

Anonymous said...

Ha - I remember you falling asleep! I remember asking mom once if you had fallen asleep in front of the TV and she told me you were still awake because your leg was up in the air (you used to watch tv with one leg up - not sure why :) Love the photo and wtg on the groceries. I need to start doing some meal planning. I'm hoping to do a bunch of slow cooker meals once my new position starts in november.