Monday, January 25, 2010

Meal Planning Monday

After reading Beth's blog this morning, I decided to follow suit and actually plan our weekly meals. I'm sick and tired of running out to the grocery store 3-4 times or more per week to grab a couple things we need for dinner or for the next day, so it is definitely time to start planning ahead.

I first started with the grocery flyers and picked one grocery store which had the best deals on meat this week (I don't really have the time and energy with 2 kids to go trotting around town from store to store) and picked recipes based around those meats. Then I wrote down which meals for which days and wrote out my grocery list, trying to pick recipes with ingredients on sale as well as things I already had in the house. Then I rewrote my grocery list according to the layout of the grocery store so I don't have to continuously go back and forth from meats to dairy etc. Hopefully that will make shopping with 2 kids in tow a little easier!

So here is my weekly plan - I'll let you know if we stick with it!

Monday (tonight): Corn chowder with dinner rolls
(Ryan is working a double tonight so it's just Kaitlyn and I for dinner - she may end up having Alphaghetti instead if she doesn't like it)

Tuesday: Lemon-sauced fish, rice and corn

Wednesday: Savoury pot roast (full meal in the slow cooker)

Thursday: Leftovers (work is throwing me a baby shower this day so it's just Ryan and Kaitlyn for dinner)

Friday: Meatloaf, rice and salad

Saturday: Shepherd's pie (using the leftover meatloaf in place of the ground beef mixture), salad

1 comments:

Yvonne said...

WooHoo for you Teresa. I have gone off and on with meal planning (think I better start again!!Thanks for the idea)... it really is the way to go!! I hope it works for you!!